The Importance of the Impossible
Header image

Why We Love Fantasy

Posted by A.E. Marling in Fantasy Art Show | Quotes | Why Fantasy

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
–Dr. Seuss

“You need to believe in things that aren’t true. How else can they become?”
–Sir Terry Pratchett

“Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli….
–George RR Martin

“Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can.”
― Sir Terry Pratchett

“A story without fantasy is a holiday without fireworks.”
– Me

Don’t hoard your favorite quote. Tell me through Twitter, Facebook, or the Contact Me tab above. (Sorry. Had to lock down the comments due to evil, eight-legged bot spammers.)

17 Responses

• A.E. Marling says:

“I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart’s affections and the truth of imagination.” — John Keats

• Pip says:

Fantasy is the thought that will and must become reality to someone, somewhere ,sometime.

• Libby Lanser says:

What I enjoy most about reading fantasy… Would be the escape. Into all the possibilities we limit from ourselves. I love being transported into a different world, one someone loved enough to take the time to write about, and see what is to be seen. Nothing is off limits to the imagination in fantasy.

• Emma Stockburn says:

“I do not care what comes after; I have seen the dragons on the wind of morning.”
    ― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Farthest Shore

This is what fantasy means to me. To touch the fantastic.

• A.E. Marling says:

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”
    –Sir Terry Pratchett

• Reality is a collection of discreet experiences.
    Fantasy is the result we get when we put those experiences into narrative form.